I am 38! There, I said it and it wasn’t “scary” or evoked thoughts of “OMG, I’m old!” or “What have I done with my life?”. I am 38 and have accomplished a lot over the years. I have travelled, met amazing (as well as not-so-amazing) people, experienced fear, excitement, humility, disappointment, envy, pride, and shame, had numerous jobs and finally a career, fallen in and out and back in love, lived in numerous houses and now live in a home, and set goals and achieved most of them. I hold my head high knowing that I learned something from each and every experience, made many mistakes along the way and am not afraid to make more mistakes. I learned to go outside my comfort zone from time to time because eventually, those experiences will become part of it. I’ve come a long way in 38 years.
I love the saying “If only I knew then what I know now…”, but then if I knew it all then, where would I be now? Would I change things in the past? Possibly, but if I did, would it be worth the risk knowing I would be someone different? I can’t change the past, but I can reflect on where I’ve been and where I want to go next.
1. I have music in my life thanks to my parents. I played multiple instruments and learned the thrill of performance and competition including how to graciously accept I can’t always win, but also learned modesty when I did.
2. I learned the value of discipline and routine.
3. I learned how to have fun but never neglect my priorities.
4. I love learning and my husband even calls me his “career student” as if I could, I would never stop attending University.
5. I completed my Bachelor of Arts degree. I struggled to pay bills by juggling a full-time course load and 3 jobs and loved every minute of it because when I was done I could say I EARNED it.
6. I learned the importance of family.
7. I learned the value of friends and that the secret is in the quality, not quantity of the virtue of friendship.
8. I learned how to listen.
9. I learned how to embrace experiences in the moment and never be in a rush to “get it over with”.
10. I learned how to “smile because it happened, not cry because it was over”.
11. I learned that travelling is not just about escaping from my everyday life; It is to experience what it might be like to live someone else’s life.
12. I have travelled to 9 countries, 4 Canadian Provinces and 13 States.
13. I have travelled by car, airplane, helicopter, train, hot air balloon, motorboat, motorcycle, wave-runner, bicycle, cruise ship, roller blades, snowmobile, snow groomer, skis, snowboard, ferry, catamaran, bus, zipline, go-kart, IndyCar and my own two feet.
14. I had almost 20 different jobs before I found my career.
15. I learned how to escape within the covers of a really good book.
16. The most valuable possession I own is my photographs as they are the only thing I cannot replace.
17. I know I can never live without the unconditional love of a dog.
18. My house is more than shelter, it is my home.
19. I learned how to swim and love the water whether it is in a pool or in the ocean.
20. I’m not afraid to try something that looks “scary” as sometimes it ends up being a ton of fun!
21. I’ve learned how to compromise.
22. I am very independent but learned it is necessary to have others to be part of my life.
23. One of my proudest achievements is my daughter.
24. I love living in a diverse country that has 4 distinct seasons.
25. I love living in a city where I can look north and see the downtown core, look east and see the prairies, look south and see the Bow River, then look west and see the Rocky Mountains.
26. I know what it feels like to love and be loved.
27. I believe everything happens for a reason.
28. Sometimes you just have to decide “it’s just not worth it” and other times you have to fight for it.
29. I have gone skydiving out of a perfectly good airplane.
30. I love change. It shakes up the boredom and routine once in a while.
31. I have met many celebrities and people I admire and am always happy to know they are just regular people who achieved more than they set out to accomplish.
32. I am healthy and although I’ve had a few medical scares, I am strong-willed and am a fighter.
33. I love space and feel fortunate to live in a house over twice the size I grew up in.
34. I love that my daughter has a backyard to play in as well as green spaces and parks within walking distance.
35. I know what it feels like to go 170 mph (legally… on a race track… in an Indy Car)
36. I have attended numerous motorsport races including 14 ChampCar races.
37. I love who I am, where I’ve been and can hardly wait to see what happens next.